The construction of the church of San Carlos Borromeo began in 1928 with the parish priest Fr. Leoncio Reta. The solid foundation and a few meters of the walls, all made of concrete, had been finished when lack of funds constrained the parish priest to suspend the project. In May 1935, Father Manuel Gómara wanted to continue with the project and sought the assistance of the hacenderos of San Carlos: the Menchacas, Llantadas, Broces, Gamboas. The target amount of 12,000 pesos was not enough and Don Julio Ledesma eventually donated the hefty sum of 20,000 pesos. The frenzied pace commenced at once and on 4 November 1935 the strong church was blest and inaugurated. The temple is 51 meters long and 22 meters wide. Its style is a happy marriage of Gothic, Byzantine and Romanesque. The huge lateral windows provided fine light and ventilation. The church followed the blueprints drawn by Dr. Cereceda and it was built under the supervision of Architect Angel Locsin Yulo. The last Recollect parish priests—Fr. Victor Celigueta, Fr. Eusebio Zabaleta and Fr. Rafael Cabarles—ceded the parish to the diocesan clergy in 1975. In 1988, it became the cathedral of the Diocese of San Carlos.
The Roman Catholic Diocese of San Carlos (Latin: Dioecesis Sancti Caroli Borromeo) is a Roman Rite diocese of the Latin Church of the Catholic Church in the Philippines. The diocese was split off from the Diocese of Bacolod together with the Diocese of Kabankalan in 1987 and is a suffragan diocese of the Archdiocese of Jaro in Iloilo City. The seat of the cathedral is the San Carlos Borromeo Cathedral in San Carlos City, Negros Occidental.
Circumscription: Diocese of San Carlos
Type: Roman-Rite Cathedral Cathedral
Rite: Roman (Latin)
History: 1929; cathedral. 1955
Patron: St. Charles Borromeo
Bishop: Bishop Gerardo Alimane Alminaza